Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

The Lake - Language Features

The Lake - Language Features

Listing - Using more detail to emphasize a point and can create an image in the reader's mind.

Example - "The wave shut me off from the world, from the birds in the sky, the children on the beach,

my mother on the shore. There was a moment of green silence. Then the wave gave me

back to the sky, the sand, the children yelling. I came out of the lake and the world was

waiting for me, having hardly moved since I went away."

Simile - Relating something to another thing using like or as.

Example - "It was like nailing summer into a

series of coffins."

Metaphor - This is when you compare one thing to something else.

Example -"There was a moment of green silence."

Personification - Giving human characteristics to something that is not human.

Example - "The wind howled"

Dialogue - When the characters are speaking

Example - "My, there's a wind," said Mama. "Put on your sweater."

"Wait'll I watch my goose-bumps," I said.

Emotive Language - Words used to influence the reader to feel or think something.

Example - "Mama swabbed me with a furry towel."

Allusions - Used to make the audience connect the dots when something isn't directly stated but is hinted at.

Example - ""Wait'll I watch my goose-bumps," I said."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about